The park was established in 1992 and officially opened by the former president and founder of WWF, as it sounds –the park this park got its name from a tribal “hehe” language “WADSUNGWA”.
The park covers an area of 1990 kilometers square where 20% of the area lies in Morogoro region while the remaining 80% lies in Iringa region. The park is covered by huge tropical forests comprising of about 2500 different species of plant thus forming habitat for different living creatures like primate species out of which two being endemic to the park, sanje crested Mangabey and Iringa red colobus monkeys while Mtundu dwarf galago and other animals including Elephants, Lions, Buffalos, bush bucks, Kudu, sable , warthogs, Antelopes, duikers, hyenas to mention but a few enjoy several habitats embraced in closed canopy of unbroken forest with small plants like the unique and amazing saint Paula to big trees of over 30metres high, reptiles are also spotted in the park, more than 400 species of butterflies, over 250 different bird species with two bird species endemic to the park –Udzungwa forest partridge and and Raucous winged sunbird thus forming the park to be the second highest bird diversity area in Africa. A number of waterfalls with the famous sanje waterfalls being most conspicuous and the highest fall of about 170metres high in the national park system in Tanzania.
Despite its less popularity Udzungwa national park is really a park of its own and a small hikers’ paradise with the sounds of many bird species some only found in this area and not anywhere else really makes it a safari destination to never miss and get an experience of your own desire.
Ifude tours & Safaris Co.Ltd
Mto wa Mbu- Arusha – Tanzania, East Africa
Phone: +255 685 129 996
+255 625 605 316
178, Sucrerie road
Sainte Marie de Kent
E4S 1Y7 NEW BRUNSWICK – CANADA
Tel:+ 1 506 743 0078